Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

ChristianI took the boys to the dentist last week. While preparing to get x-rays of my son’s teeth, the dental assistant asked, "Where do you get your eyes? From your mom or your dad?" Christian looked at her a bit puzzled and said, "I get my eyes from Jesus!" That’s my boy! My little guy, who refuses to go to CRE classes, but still manages to come up with some of the most amazing little things to say about God... and giving credit where credit is due!

******

Today is Ash Wednesday... I talked with Clay last night about what he'd like to give up for Lent. He's going to give up sleeping with his "monkey" that he's had since he was a baby. The other two will not give things up individually. I am going to give up Diet Pepsi (eek!) but as a family we're going to do the following:

- No television or video games two nights per week
- No computer (this one's mostly for me) two nights per week
- One night per week without the use of electric lighting

In addition, I'm going to make a large effort to read more Scripture, pray more and teach my kids more of the faith. The problem is, I don't have any really good (and easy) ideas for doing this with the kids. If anyone has some creative suggestions on teaching kids (ages 5-8) basics of the faith, please let me know... I especially would like ideas on how to talk with them about Lent. Right now, I'm just trying to talk with them about the 10 Commandments and how those apply in their lives.

Also, does anyone know when children start to go to Reconciliation and how to help them develop their conscience (on their level)? Mine have not yet been baptized but will be in the next few months...

No comments:

Post a Comment