Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Faith is a Journey

"In the Book of Acts faith was for each believer a beginning, not an end; it was a journey, not a bed in which to lie while waiting for the day of our Lord's triumph. Believing was not a once-done act; it was more than an act, it was an attitude of heart and mind which inspired and enabled the believer to take up his cross and follow the Lamb whithersoever He went."
- A.W. Tozer - Born After Midnight, 16.


Not a Catholic author but definitely Catholic thinking. One thing I recently embraced is the concept that faith is a journey and that salvation is not a one-time event. Salvation may begin with a prayer and "acceptance" of Christ but the act itself without true faith and obedience, does not save. I spent the majority of my life believing that my actions had little consequence... that I could be a "basically good person" and my faith "alone" would save me. This concept was gravely unhealthy for my faith and years of this kind of thinking kept me from praying, reading my Bible and truly seeking God's will for my life.

Understanding that faith is a journey has called me to change my attitude toward God and to desire to renew my heart and mind for Him. I don't want to have a lukewarm faith. I don't want one moment in time to be "it" but rather the beginning to a growing faith in God. I want my works to be a reflection of my faith... so that others can see the hope that I have in Jesus.

Old habits are hard to break, but slowly I'm pushing myself to pray and read my Bible. I'm pushing myself to try to keep my mind focused on God instead of the things of this world. Every day, I have to ask God to help me live my day for Him and to ease the anxiety that so often invades my life. It is a struggle but we are called to work out our salvation in "fear and trembling" (Phil 2:12)... and to proclaim the love of the Lord... I can no longer think that my faith without obedience to the Lord is sufficient. He calls me to be perfect (Mt 5:48).

"You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone." (James 2:24)

I must take up my cross daily and follow God, wherever He takes me. Christ accomplished it all on the cross, and without that, nothing would save us. We must cooperate with God's gift of grace by following Him in faith and obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment